Today, more than one billion people have no access to clean water and double that lack proper sanitation facilities. As such the United Nations has set a Millennium Development Goal to halve the proportion of people without sustainable access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation by 2015. This challenge is not about finding more water; it’s about better managing and preserving the resources we have.
In 2007 Borouge and Borealis created the Water for the World™ initiative, a global programme that fosters local knowledge and partnerships to provide sustainable solutions for the availability of safe water and sanitation.
By bringing our expertise to community field projects, advancing science and best practices, engaging stakeholders, leveraging our leadership in innovative plastics solutions and promoting water efficiency in our operations, we can make a difference.
Here are some examples of activities in Asia:
- Providing drinking water to the Sichuan earthquake resettlement camp in China
- Upgraded water supply facilities at Hanoi Children’s Hospital in Vietnam
- Providing continuous water supply to residents of Bhaktapur in Nepal
- Building a sustainable water system for Swami Maheshwaranande Ashram Centre in Rajasthan, India
- Providing clean drinking water to Ho Phong and Gai Rai in Southern Vietnam
- Reducing water losses by relining ageing water mains in Beijing
- Delivering fresh water on tap to 3,000 homes in Malkapur in Maharashtra, India
- Bringing fresh water from mainland China to the Quemoy Islands
- Protecting the Whanganui River in New Zealand with a new sewerage system
- Securing fresh water access to 450 villages in Andhra Pradesh in India
- Providing inhabitants of Mangalore and Pattur in Bangalore, India with access to fresh water and sanitation
- Pioneering the first plastics pipe academy in the Middle East
- Sponsoring of the global Stockholm Water prize and creating the Borouge Water Prize in India.
- Working with ‘Water and Sanitation for the Urban Poor’ on their global projects
In addition to our commitment to addressing this global challenge, Borouge also enhances the communities in which it operates by supporting health, safety, environment and education related activities.
Borouge actively promotes the responsible use of plastics so that they make a positive contribution to the progress of society.
Visit www.waterfortheworld.net and see how we are making a difference.